Articles in Refereed Journals
Chapters in Books
- Huang, D., Y. Lai, and J. G. Becker. In Press. Impact of initial conditions on extant kinetic parameter determination: Application to tetrachloroethene (PCE) dehalorespiration kinetics. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. DOI: 10.1007/s00253-013-5171-8.
- Lai, Y., and J. G. Becker. 2013. Compounded effects of chlorinated ethene inhibition on ecological interactions and population abundance in a Dehalococcoides–Dehalobacter co-culture. Environmental Science & Technology. 47:1518-1525.
- Gregoire, K. P., and J. G. Becker. 2012. Design and characterization of a microbial fuel cell for the conversion of a lignocellulosic crop residue to electricity. Bioresource Technology. 119:208-215.
- Huang, D. and J. G. Becker. 2011. Dehalorespiration model that incorporates the self-inhibition and biomass inactivation effects of high tetrachloroethene concentrations. Environmental Science & Technology. 45(3):1093-1099.
- Huang, D. and J. G. Becker. 2009. Determination of intrinsic Monod kinetic parameters for two heterotrophic tetrachloroethene (PCE)-respiring strains and insight into their application. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 104(2):301-311.
- Becker, J. G., and E. A. Seagren. 2009. Modeling the effects of microbial competition and hydrodynamics on the dissolution and detoxification of dense non-aqueous phase liquid contaminants. Environmental Science & Technology. 43(3):870-877.
- North, J. M., J. G. Becker, E. A. Seagren, M. Ramirez, C. Peot, and S. Murthy. 2008. Methods for quantifying lime incorporation into dewatered sludge. II: Field-scale application. Journal of Environmental Engineering. 134(9):762-770.
- North, J. M., J. G. Becker, E. A. Seagren, M. Ramirez, and C. Peot. 2008. Methods for quantifying lime incorporation into dewatered sludge. I: Bench-scale evaluation. Journal of Environmental Engineering. 134(9):750-761.
- Tawney, I., J. G. Becker, and A. H. Baldwin. 2008. A novel dual compartment, continuous-flow wetland microcosm to assess cis-dichloroethene removal from the rhizosphere. International Journal of Phytoremediation.10(5):455-471.
- de Paula, H. A., J. G. Becker, and A. P. Davis. 2008. Characterization of the uptake of divalent metal ions by a hatchery residual biosorbent. Environmental Engineering Science. 25(5):737-746.
- Becker, J.G. 2006. A modeling study and implications of competition between Dehalococcoides ethenogenes and other tetrachloroethene-respiring bacteria. Environmental Science & Technology. 40(14):4473-4480.
- Becker, J. G., G. Berardesco, B. E. Rittmann, and D. A. Stahl. 2006. The effects of endogenous substrates on the adaptation of anaerobic microbial communities to 3-chlorobenzoate. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 72(1):449-456.
- Becker, J. G., G. Berardesco, B. E. Rittmann, and D. A. Stahl. 2005. The role of syntrophic associations in sustaining anaerobic mineralization of chlorinated organic compounds. Environmental Health Perspectives. 13(3):310-316.
- Seagren, E. A., and J. G. Becker. 2002. A review of natural attenuation of BTEX and MTBE in groundwater. Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management. 6(3):156-172.
- Becker, J. G., G. Berardesco, B. E. Rittmann, and D. A. Stahl. 2001. Successional changes in a chlorophenol-degrading community used to infer relationships between population structure and system-level processes. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 67(12):5705-5714.
- Becker, J. G., D. A. Stahl, and B. E. Rittmann. 1999. Reductive dehalogenation and conversion of 2-chlorophenol to 3-chlorobenzoate in a methanogenic sediment community: implications for predicting the environmental fate of chlorinated pollutants. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 65(11):5169-5172.
- Becker, J. G., and D. L. Freedman. 1994. Use of cyanocobalamin to enhance anaerobic biodegradation of chloroform. Environmental Science & Technology, 28(11):1942-1949.
- J. G. Becker and E. A. Seagren. 2009. Bioremediation of Hazardous Organics. In Environmental Microbiology, Second Edition, R. Mitchell and J.-D. Gu (Eds.), Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken, NJ, Chapter 8, p. 177-212.
- Seagren, E. A., and J. G. Becker. 2004. Petroleum hydrocarbons and MTBE. In: Natural Attenuation of Hazardous Waste, R. Surampalli, S-K. Ong, E.A. Seagren, J. Nuno, and S. Banerji (Eds.), American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA, Chapter 5.1, p. 120-167.